We’re Here to Help!
Our behavior modification plans along with prescription medications will help you, help yourself!
- We have the ability to write for prescription medications.
- You will see one of the counselors or providers pictured below every time you come to the Medical Weight Loss Center.
- Each appointment is one on one with a provider who can guide, encourage and treat YOU individually.
- We do not require you to sign any contracts or require payment up front before services are performed.
- We will empower you to become the person you know you can be.
- We will give you the tools that you need to become the healthier, happier, thinner person you want to be.
- We offer a “one stop shop” where you can be prescribed medications, have them dispensed and get a great price on them without having to go to the pharmacy.
- With weight loss, we can safely help decrease your risk of many medical problems as seen on our weight loss information page.
- We offer a significant amount of informative handouts that can guide you to continuous and successful weight loss and then weight control.
- We only require monthly appointments to keep you on track and check on your medications. We do not require weekly meetings or group settings, but we will give you information about meetings that can help certain individuals overcome additional problems that may be contributing to their weight gain.
- If you choose, we will communicate with your family physician to keep them apprised of your weight loss.
Who We Are
Dr. Paul Baughman
Dr. Paul Baughman graduated in 1993 from Lycoming College and obtained his medical degree in Philadelphia at The Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. He did his Family Practice Residency at Pinnacle Health Systems in Harrisburg and practiced on Locust Lane until Feb 2009, then he moved his family practice to a larger building on Dover Rd.
Dr. Baughman is now one of only a few physicians in Pennsylvania to hold a Board Certification in Obesity Medicine -and the ONLY Board Certified Physician in the Harrisburg area that works solely in the area of non-surgical weight management! He now holds both a certification in Family Practice and Obesity Medicine. This is a very exciting accomplishment for Dr. Baughman and for our practice.
Lauren Kropa, PA-C
Lauren Kropa PA-C graduated in 2007 from King’s College’s Physician Assistant Program with a Masters degree in Physician Assistant Studies. She is certified by the NCCPA and Licensed under the Pennsylvania State Board of Osteopathic Medicine. She has been practicing with Dr. Baughman since October of 2007. Lauren has always had a passion for helping patients lose weight and is excited to have the opportunity to be a part of Medical Weight Loss Center of Harrisburg.
Chelsea Gernak, Lead Clinical Dietitian and Office Manager
Chelsea graduated from West Chester University with a Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics in May 2015. Chelsea brings an energy to the practice in addition to a unique skill set which compliments the other providers’ knowledge of medications and exercise physiology.
Chelsea has extensive experience teaching lifestyle modification and skills as well as with the commercial and medical products available to manage and facilitate weight loss. Chelsea is responsible for developing meal plans, monitoring progress, and streamlining the patient experience.
She works to empower others to achieve their physical and mental health goals. As such, Chelsea provides guidance in:
- Meal planning
- Food preparation
- Choosing natural sweeteners
- Interpretation of My Fitness Pal data
- Analysis of Health App data
- Review of Fitness App data
- Interpretation of food diaries
- And much more
Chelsea can address these issues as well as provide daily caloric needs, strategies for dealing with food allergies, food choices for fighting disease states, and more.
While Chelsea does not prescribe medications, she facilitates medication management through Dr. Baughman and Lauren Kropa, PA-C once a doctor-patient relationship has been established.
Consultations can be scheduled through the Mind Body App, online through the website or by contacting our office.
Caitlin Leister, Weight Loss Counselor
Caitlin graduated in 2010 with a Medical Assisting Associate’s Degree. She worked in the primary care field for five years at Baughman Family Medicine. Caitlin worked her way up to Lead Medical Assistant before leaving BFM to help open The Harrisburg Medical Weight Loss Center. In her past five years working at the weight loss center, Caitlin has continued her study of biology, physiology and weight management. She and Chelsea have developed the handouts and material aids we use in the education, counseling, and management of our patients. She has also written policy and procedures regarding patient flow, drug approval, medication prior authorization and encounter documentation. Recognizing that she had a passion for counseling patients with regards to diet, exercise, healthy habits, and medical options, Caitlin decided to pursue becoming a Weight Loss Counselor. After shadowing the providers and studying treatment guidelines Caitlin took our in house Medical Weight Loss Counseling Certification Exam and passed. A Weight Loss Counselor educates patients on issues regarding weight loss, diet, and exercise. Counselors assess a client’s current weight and nutrition choices to provide guidance in obtaining a healthier lifestyle and losing weight. Caitlin works hand and hand with Dr. Baughman and Lauren to provide patients with options and accessibility to the practice.